Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: big increase in ftp scanning

From: Jason Potopa <jpotopa () QWEST NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:01:09 -0600

I agree with you to a point, but there are a few things that I feel
should be elaborated on, expecially your last line that read "And, last,
portscans are nothing illegal, at least here in germany..."

although it is not illegal to port scan in most countries including the
US, this does not tie the ISP's hands when dealing with mis-use of the
internet, and the ISP's network.  If the ISP has an acceptable use
policy that states that scanning a network is against the companies
policy, and therefore can result in the customer being kicked off of the
service, then they can do something about it.

You do make an excellent point that if you find yourself victim of a
scan, or any other type of network attack/mischief, you need to provide
the upsteam ISP with complete logs (including time and time zones) as
soon as possible.

Jason Potopa Security Engineer
Qwest Communications
jpotopa () qwest net