Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: sureseeker.com

From: Nate W <nate () WHATEVER NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:00:58 -0800

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Prime Internet Network wrote:

The site that you got this from actually asks you if you want your home
page changed in small print, then in large print it asks if you are Over 18.

It is a porn site called amateurpie.com

Imagine my horror at thinking that I might have brought this on
myself. :-)

However, this page contains a script that merely re-sets the home page.
This is not the same script that did the damage described earlier.  It's
also worth noting that the script at amateurpie.com does not set the home
page to "http://www.sureseeker.com"; as with the actual exploit - rather it
sets it to the following:

http://sureseeker.com/?CLICKYESTOENTERIF%20%20YOU%20ARE%20%20OVER%20%2018

This is definitely not the same script.  This looks more like a red
herring created hastily by the sureseeker.com people (Cyberheat Inc, who
do seem to operate a number of porn sites), in an attempt to convince
their ISP that what they did had some semblance of legitimacy.