Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scanning. Is it dangerous?

From: r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ (Russell Fulton)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:35:32 +1200

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:12:54 +0200 Sarunas Krivickas
<KrivickasS () PASTAS KAM LT> wrote:

Lets go to discuss a little bit about subject!
My question is how the recognized simple scanning is described in your IT
security policy and why scanning is so dangerous for you?

Our security policy includes scanning under the heading of "security
experiments" and our user are forbidden to perform such experiments
with the exception of Systems and Network Administrators testing their
own security.  If they want to do this from off campus they need my
(Security Officer's) permission otherwise they will likely loose their
ISP account ;-)

We report all inbound scans (providing we can find someone to report
them too without to much trouble).  In bound scans are not dangerous in
themselves, however the information obtained from scanning may well be
-- why else to crackers do it?

There are two main reason we report scans:
1/ most come from machine that have already been compromised.  I
believe it behoves us as good net citizens to warn the owners of
systems that have been compromised that they have problems.  It may be
me next time.

2/ Scans originating from dail-up servers at ISP are likely to be naive
script kiddies.  A warning from an ISP to the kids parents may well
save him/her from getting into more serious trouble later.

We also see quite a few scans from local ISPs, these I persue fairly
virgorously.  My guess is that most of these scans are initiated by our
own students from home (they do tend to focus on the the machines that
supply student services and control their access to the net ;-)
I want to get the message to our students that if they muck with our
systems then they will get caught and will be dealt with.

My personal belief is that ISPs should have a 3 teir warning system:
1/ First complaint gets an email notice.
2/ Second gets a phone call to the person in whoes name the account is
   held warning them that any more complaints will result in
   cancellation of the account.
3/ Third the account is cancelled.

Unfortunately ISPs have to be very careful in this process because it
it very easy to lay false complaints and very difficult for an ISP to
detect that they are in fact false.

Cheers, Russell.