Security Incidents mailing list archives

CNET Hackers hit e-commerce site

From: vlee () GIFTSSOFT COM (Vincent Lee)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:55:45 -0500

Hello all,

This is my first posting to Security-Focus, and I hope I am doing so in the right forum.  Just read a clipping from
CNET regarding a hacker obtaining stolen credit card numbers from an e-commerce site.

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-201-1562254-0.html?tag=st.ne.1007.thed.1007-201-1562254

From what I understand, this is the second _major_ attack.  Without going into too much specifics, can anyone tell me
how anyone (hacker or not) can do this?  I may be naive, but to think that with all the breaches that is occurring,
nowadays, you would think that even an e-commerce site would fare better.  Maybe, I should be asking "how easy can it
be?" - any answer would help me rethink my role in e-commerce, as well as, prepare myself for any such attacks.  Any
input appreciated.

By the way, I have _learned_ a great deal since I signed on to Security-Focus.  To all those who have posted questions
and feedback - keep on doing so.  You have no idea how many uneducated people out there are actually learning something
from your posts.  Thanks to all.  I am no longer in the dark!

Vincent Lee