Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Syn and Fin in different packets together

From: lamont () ICOPYRIGHT COM (Granquist, Lamont)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:51:45 -0800

by default NMAP ACK pings rather than SYN pings to port 80.

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Simple Nomad wrote:
Without pulling up a sniffer I'd say that's an nmap FIN scan looking for
open port 80 boxes. They probably didn't use the -P0 option which will
probably get the extra SYN packet. Considering how many devices allow for
remote web management (such as hubs and routers) I'd expect these types of
scans, especially at the perimeter.

-         Simple Nomad          -  No rest for the Wicca'd  -
-      thegnome () nmrc org        -        www.nmrc.org       -
-  thegnome () razor bindview com  -     razor.bindview.com    -