Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Attacks from cr595282-a.hnsn1.on.wave.home.com [24.112.41.167]

From: tmolina () HOME COM (Thomas Molina)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:06:12 -0600

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Thomas E. Ruth wrote:

I have sent e-mail to abuse () home com and abuse () rogers home net, so far I
havn't had any response at all. Even the local law enforcement and the
FBI don't do anything about it. According to them, if the attacker
didn't commit fraud, then there isn't anything at all they will do.

Oh well,

Tom

"Maniac ." wrote:

The attacker seems to know only enough to be a danger and definately doesn't
know enough not to use his @home connection.  Have you contacted @home?
Good luck if you have.  In the past I have reported attacks from @home
customers to @home (shaw cable where I am) and recieved no action of any
sort.

That nothing was done seems a bit unusual from my perspective, except
that the IP is from rogers.  I've reported abuse incidents to
abuse () home com before.  The bad part is that I rarely, if ever, receive
feedback.  The good part is that doesn't mean they don't do anything.

One of the incidents I reported was a massive, lengthy port scan.  I
didn't get any feedback from this one either, but I found out the
individual had his service revoked.  The only reason I got that
information was that the person turned out to be a friend of mine who
had just received his hookup and ended up on the same subnet as I was
on.  So at least TCI in Omaha does pursue incident reports.

My point is that just because no feedback is received, doesn't mean
nothing happens.  I hope people don't begin to feel the necessity to
block who segments of the @home network, as one poster suggested.