Security Incidents mailing list archives

Y2K bug in Shadow IDS

From: patrick () PINE NL (Patrick Oonk)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:57:58 +0100

Hi,

The shadow IDS contains a programming mistake that breaks
many scripts in the suite. The author assumed at some point
that the output of the year value in Perl's date functions
is a 2 digit number which it isn't. In 2000 the value
of $year is '100'.

I made a small fix which still is not pretty, but going
to a 4 digit year would break many other things in the scripts,
and this fix will work for the next 99 years anyway :)

I changed the top of 'sensor/variables.ph' into

        # We need various timestamps all over the place
        @T = localtime;
        if ($T[5] > 99) {
        $T[5] -= 100;
        }

By the way, the Shadow perl scripts also use /tmp a lot with
predictable file names, so local exploits are possible,
but this is more of a Bugtraq issue I guess.

        p.

--
 Patrick Oonk - PO1-6BONE - patrick () pine nl - www.pine.nl/~patrick
 Pine Internet B.V.      GOAT666-RIPE          PGP key ID BE7497F1

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>