Security Incidents mailing list archives

R: correlation between porscans and local activity

From: raist () CTRADE IT (Raistlin)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:26:34 +0100

There now appears to be some coincidence between the times my family
does web browsing and when I get scanned for port 1080.

Someone is probably trying to understand wether or not your is an open SOCKS
firewall they can use. I could bet these scans occur during IRC sessions
from one of your windows boxes (check if in the logs you have outgoing
traffic towards a 666X port).

Scanning IPs on IRC channels to check for open SOCKS it's a rather common
thing hackers-wanna-be love to do, since it leads to huge lists of addresses
they can trade, share and sell to other script kiddies around.

Just my bit of info,
Raist