Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: @home: Is *anyone* really home there???

From: wozz+incidents () WOOKIE NET (Wozz)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:41:39 -0700

Amen brother!

  I'm the head of the security department for a large nationwide
  cable modem provider that is in the exact same situation @home
  is.  We get hundreds and hundreds of complaints a day, often times
  about how someone's "hacking" them, when in fact, someone misdirected
  a web browser in their direction.  If a user is causing wide
  spread problems, scanning large network blocks, spaming, or
  actually comprimising a host then that user will be cancelled.
  But if one user, scans one person, and doesn't actually comprimise
  anything, the chances of it even coming up on my radar are very
  low.  Our department deals with the big problems first, the small
  problems last.  It amazes me how everyone with BlackIce installed
  on their computer suddenly thinks they are under attack and emails
  me 5 times a day complaining, because someone is pinging them.
  Yes, it would be ideal if every single person who thought about
  doing something bad were punished for it, but the fact of the
  matter is, unless its a widespread problem (scanning, spam), an
  actual comprimise, or we have an exceedingly large amount of spare
  time, we can't respond to every single complaint that arrives.
  We do keep track of users that receive complaints though, and if
  we notice a bad pattern, they will be cancelled.  I can only
  imagine the amount of complaints @home gets (they are about 5
  times the size of us) so I'm totally not surprised folks don't
  get responses back from them.  Bottom line, just because you're
  not getting a personal response, doesn't mean they aren't doing
  anything about it.  I'm here to keep our network secure, and keep
  our users from attacking others, not to respond (note i said
  respond, not act upon) to every single complaint.