Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: @home: Is *anyone* really home there???

From: jpapen () YAHOO COM (Jeffrey Papen)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:24:03 -0800

<SNIP>
I find it interesting and discouraging that @home apparently feels free
to harbor hackers and other criminals, but will not offer services
to security professionals.

This is such a myopic 'poor me' view of the situation.  @Home doesn't allow
anyone to do these activities.  Why did you bother asking?  What did you expect
them to say?  How do they know you're legit?

@Home has to have 1 policy for everyone.  Ask DSL or any ISP if they'll allow
you to hack (even your own company) from their phone lines and they'll tell you
the same thing.  Why do you feel the need to single out @Home?  Case in point -
how many ISPs stopped offering shell accounts for this very reason.  They were
a great tool for the average user and gold for a hacker.

Either way it doesn't matter because they won't block you.  Unlike other
services (DSL) @Home only blocks inbound ports 137-139 and 1080 on your cable
modem.  Everything else is fair game.

@Home isn't "harboring" hackers.  @Home has as many hackers as UUNet, Sprint,
C&W, or any other ISP.

 I guess we just have to mark them down as "bad guys" until they learn
to play nice on the Net.

WHAT?!?  Ok, then let's call every other ISP a "bad guy" too.  No ISP (with the
possible exception of deamon.co.uk) says it's cool to hack.  Everyone is going
to give the same acceptable use policy.  I personally believe that there is
only 1 acceptable use policy and everyone just copies it.  \

Either way I can't honestly believe that for $40 / month you get unlimited
bandwidth and are now going to piss and moan that the mean old ISP said I can't
do something I want.

Go ahead and do it.  What's the worst they'll do to you?  Nothing.  Absolutely
nothing.  If they tell you to stop, go get DSL.  When DSL tells you to stop,
get a leased line from an ISP.  When the ISP tells you to stop, get a direct
connect to your company and copy the same access-list to your access router as
you have on your internet access router(s).

If the day ever comes that @Home comes down on your for testing your own
companies network (and no one complains to @Home about you doing it), I'll buy
you a beer.  Hell, I'll deliver the beer personally and you can tell me what a
jerk I am.

- Jeffrey
Cheers,
Phil