Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: rooted

From: oogali () INTRANOVA NET (Omachonu Ogali)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:53:01 -0500

broadscan is a broadcast scanner, basically feeds the user a list of
broadcast address they can use to 'smurf' off of. If it is a user of pop2
then delete the user being that that's not a regular user, and b00ger-rpc
is the name they stuck in /etc/services for the actual port that the
trojan/daemon is running on to allow the attacker to connect back and
retrieve their 'rootshell.' It sounds feasible, to pass a program to
execute to the UBB and then login and execute the crontab exploit to
achieve root access.