Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: @home: Is *anyone* really home there???

From: jmatk () TSCM COM (James M. Atkinson, Comm-Eng)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:34:39 -0500

At 9:10 AM -0500 2/23/00, Jim Littlefield wrote:
On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 04:43:30PM -0600, Missouri FreeNet Administration
wrote:
Greetings,

     If there are any *living breathing* @home abuse admins on this
list, would one of you please contact me regarding one of your lusers?

     The customer at 24.15.162.239 has been attempting to penetrate our
perimeter net for almost 4 hours straight now, and it's getting really
*OLD*...  (Yes,  they have been cut off at the routers, but I still have
to sift through 4 hours of continuous log activity I'd rather not deal
with - and they show *no* signs of catching an errant clue any time soon).

Unless @Home gets lots of complaints regarding a particular user, they do
very little, if anything. Spam and open NNTP servers are the only
complaints that they appear to act on.

I am an @Home customer and was getting repeated entire port range scans
from another @Home customer located in the next town. I blasted off a
complaint and received nothing in return. A telephone call to @Home and
multiple conversations with a number of "supervisors" resulted in very
little being done. IMHO, @Home's network is poorly managed and their
support is next to useless. Unfortunately for me, DSL is not an option at
this time.

--
Jim Littlefield           "One time I went to a museum where all the
                          work in the museum had been done by

You can reach the abuse department at home.com at (650) 569-5399, but keep
in mind that they are deliberately indifferent, and notoriously
irresponsible about dealing with security issues.

-jma

                    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
  James M. Atkinson                          Phone: (978) 546-3803
  Granite Island Group
  127 Eastern Avenue #291                     http://www.tscm.com/
  Gloucester, MA 01931-8008                       jmatk () tscm com
         Copyright 2000, James M. Atkinson, All Rights Reserved