Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: CGI scans from Strauss.udel.edu -- They're back

From: ryan () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Ryan Russell)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:32:24 -0700

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Elliot L. Tobin wrote:

strauss.udel.edu is our main student programming server..  of course
students can check their email on it too, but it's primary use is for
students to use the compilers, run (x)maple, and numerous other
applications.

That would imply either the typical authorized student games, or perhaps
the theft on an account on the box.

The (reported) activities would seem to violate this policy:
http://www.udel.edu/ecce/policy.approved.html

Perhaps, specifically this:
http://www.udel.edu/ecce/text.html#Malicious Misuse: Hacking

Can you tell the list if you're investigating these reports to try to
determine which students or accounts seem to be doing the probing?  There
are lots of folks on the list that could help investigate (and I mean that
non-sarcastically.)

                                        Ryan