Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: CGI scans from Strauss.udel.edu -- They're back

From: marcelo () ZAHIR ROCKEFELLER EDU (Marcelo Magnasco)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:06:35 -0400

Elliot just said,
strauss.udel.edu is our main student programming server..

Yeah, well, I was told by security people over there that there
are over 40000 student accounts on strauss. Statement was that they
did not believe root had been compromised, that the scanners were
working from accounts with poor passwords or other similarly fantastic
story. "Shutting down 40000 accounts and making them choose
new passwords isn't an option at this time", or some such thing.

but it's primary use is for students to use [compilers]
and numerous other applications.

Yeah, well, we've all seen what the other numerous application are,
haven't we?

 Elliot L. Tobin  -  UD/CiS '02  [elliot () udel edu]
 Univ. of Delaware, Ranked #2 Wired Campus by Yahoo!

Maybe we should forward this thread to Yahoo, they might rank
Udel as #1 Wired campus after this. Definitely well wired.

Marcelo Magnasco                        The Rockefeller University
marcelo () zahir rockefeller edu        1230 York Avenue, NY NY10021
http://asterion.rockefeller.edu         212 3278542 W 212 3278889 F