Security Incidents mailing list archives

Frontpage Exploits

From: kmccammon () TIDALWAVE NET (Keith McCammon)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:37:05 -0400

Hey all,

We are running a FrontPage server (not necessarily by choice).  This
morning, the sites on the machine began requesting NT challenge/response to
browse sites.  It appears that eh IUSR/IWAM accounts were no longer in the
NTFS permissions for parent directory.

Anyone know of any exploits to summarily replace NTFS permissions on a
FrontPage Server?  A separate exploit also stops all sites from serving - a
past problem that we think we fixed.  Can't hurt to have that info anyway.

MACHINE: NT 4.0, SP6, MDAC 2.1, running Serv-U FTP (also latest version,
fully patched).  All known hotfixes in place.

Thanks,

Keith W. McCammon
Network Administrator
Quantum Communications, Inc.