Security Incidents mailing list archives

Strange UDP traffic

From: epadin () WAGWEB COM (Ed Padin)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:35:58 -0400

Hi,

I'm seeing some strange traffic on the inside of my network going to a Linux
ipmasqued firewall. Where x.x.x.x is the inside (private address range) of
my firewall I see the traffic below. The traffic comes from a 0.0.0.0
address which is disconerting. I'm not sure that any legit UDP traffic
except for Bootp/dhcp should be coming from a zero address. I'm not familiar
with any UDP exploits on these ports. The inside network has only Windoz 98
boxen and a Cisco router leading to another WAN. Any ideas?

Note: all below is UDP

Source IP       Source Port     Dest IP Dest Port
---------       -----------     ------- ---------
0.0.0.0 1985            x.x.x.x 3143
0.0.0.0 1986            x.x.x.x 3143
0.0.0.0 1987            x.x.x.x 3143