Security Incidents mailing list archives

Weird Ping requests

From: ebrockway () EARTHLINK NET (Erick Brockway)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:11:44 -0700

    Looked at my AtGuard log last night, and something weird showed up there.
    Started with;
 4/15/00 19:36:46.383 NDIS Filter Rule "Default Inbound ICMP" permitted (206.204.217.22,0).  Details:
Inbound ICMP request
Local address is (209.178.128.182)
Remote address is (206.204.217.22)
Message type is "Echo Reply"
Process name is "N/A"
    Had ten of these from this IP within three seconds. Then it started coming from different IP addys, and by
19:37:06:155 there were over 300 pings from five different machines. The machines themselves were from all over the
globe; two from Poland, one from Chicago, one from Canada, and one from Thailand.
    I have this stuff blocked, but all this took place in a little over fifteen seconds. What could send pings that
fast, and what is this guy hoping to accomplish?
    Others at grc.com/shieldsup are starting to report the same.

Erick Brockway

"I was the author of that proposal.  I wrote that....That is something for which  I have been the principal proponent
for a long time."
Al Gore in a Time Interview, on the EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT (EITC). Now, this is interesting, since the EITC became
law in 1975, a year BEFORE Gore was elected to Congress.
(Source: Time Magazine November 1, 1999 Vol. 154 No. 18)

http://www.gargaro.com/algore.html