Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: deploying honeypots...

From: Damiano Bolzoni <damiano.bolzoni () utwente nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:31:18 +0200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

The part I was wondering about was what he was planning to use as a learning
function - neural networks only make sense if you have feedback telling it if
the previous decision was correct or not.

What about unsupervised learning?

And *how* do you recognize a buffer overflow when the protocol spec says some
given ascii string can be 1024 bytes long, the programmer only provides 256
bytes of buffer, and the attacker has crafted an all-ascii exploit string?

I don't want to start a flame but...how much do you know about neural
network used for intrusion detection purposes?

--
Damiano Bolzoni

damiano.bolzoni () utwente nl
PGP public key http://dies.ewi.utwente.nl/~bolzonid/public_key.asc

Distributed and Embedded System Group - University of Twente
P.O. Box 217 7500AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Phone: ++31 53 4894192
Room 3067, Building: ZILVERLING