Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: deploying honeypots...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:24:13 -0400

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:41:20 +0300, Ahmed Ameen said:
For you first question I would say leave them with no patches, the
opjective is to attract the black-hat community.

This is so counter-productive as to be totally nuts.

Last I checked, the DSHield survival-time estimate was sitting around 20-25
minutes.  Do you *really* want a honeypot that will get whacked twice an hour
by the worm du jour?

If you want to use an unpatched system so you can catch new exploits, the only
sane thing to do is to park it behind a good filtering IPS of some sort that
munches the packets for all the exploits you already know about - if it's
something that already has a Snort signature, you're probably disinterested
in it.  Anything useful (such as the rate you see any given exploit or what
known exploits a blackhat throws before popping off a 0-day) can be extracted
from your IPS logs, which is a lot easier than having to re-image 50 times
a day....