Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot on DSL

From: Christian Kreibich <christian () whoop org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:33:58 -0700

Hi,

I did something similar a while ago. The simplest way was to have the
firewall *block* everything inbound so the machine's real IP stack
couldn't start to process the packets. Honeyd will still work because
pcap will snoop the packets before they get dropped at the firewall.
Besides that, I allowed outbound, and also ssh inbound from a remote
management machine (making sure that this traffic wasn't fed into
honeyd).

So something like the below (this is recalled from memory so might be
bogus).

# Drop everything we have
iptables -F INPUT
iptables -F FORWARD

# Allow connections initiated outbound, drop everything else.
iptables -A INPUT -s <my remote machine> -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -j DROP

# Don't forward either.
iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

Cheers,