Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Setting up honeyd on winxp sp2

From: Jan Reister <jan.reister () unimi it>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:05:08 +0200

On 25/04/2005 20:33, Edmund Dorsey wrote:
> The problem I am having is not so much in configuring
> honeyd itself but is in getting traffic to my honeyd machine.  I know
> honeyd requires it's own virtual address space but I'm not sure how to
> set that up in windows or if I even need to.

Hi Ed,

perhaps this is because you need WinPCAP to run honeyd on Windows?

http://www.securityprofiling.com/honeyd/WIN32_README.txt

WinPCAP needs raw sockets to capture packets that are sent to your honeyd, but Microsoft has removed raw socketw with both Win XP Service Pack 2 and the MS05-019 critical security patch.

There's a discussion about this issue on the SANS Internet Storm Center:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2005-04-24

If you have SP2 or MS05-019, this may be the problem.

Jan