Honeypots mailing list archives

Honeyd 1.0 DHCP Question

From: <patrickstjohn () gmail com>
Date: 3 Feb 2005 09:12:15 -0000

First off I want to say thanks to Niels and his helpers for the great software and major improvements to honeyd. Also
thanks to the posters on this list I've learned alot and fixed alot of problems by reading through the threads.

Question: I've been unable as of yet to get dhcp honeypots working. Ultimately I would like to get 3 virtual honeypots
obtaining dhcp addresses. My first try at this so far has been unsuccessful. Here is my ultra-basic config for a XP
honeypot.

honeyd.conf
-------------
create xp
dhcp xp on eth0 ethernet "mac address in quotes"
set xp personality "Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1"
set xp default tcp action reset
set xp default udp action reset
set xp default icmp action open
set xp uid 32767 gid 32767
<I'll have various scripts set up after this when I get
it working>

Now eth0 and the mac address is the actual information from my machine. It will start up fine but won't get a new ip
address (stays with my static IP). And when I make up a bogus eth1 with a fake mac address it says that eth1 doesn't
exist (which it doesn't). So how does the DHCP setup work? I read the man page but it was a little confusing on this
point. Has anyone gotten it to work and mind showing their setup for it? I'd appreciate any insight. Thank you.

Patrick