Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: arpd on fedora core 3

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:09:30 +0100

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 10:43:54AM -0500, Jeffrey B. Murphy wrote:
so I ran :
ldd /usr/sbin/arpd
        libevent.so.0 => /usr/lib/libevent.so.0 (0x00c0f000)
        libpcap.so.0.8.3 => /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8.3 (0x0033e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x001c5000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x001ac000)

But that doesn't tell me anything (I don't know what th results mean)
All those files exist.

So this *should* work (never seen the 'tls' libc before, but I seem to
recall this being the thread local storage glibc version in RH.)

(For the record, these libraries are required to run it.)

So I decided to try from scratch. I uninstalled all the rpms. and
downloaded the follwoing:
libdnet-1.10.tar.gz
libevent-1.0b.tar.gz
arpd-0.2.tar.gz

The first two compile and install correctly.

Okay, that's good.

With arpd, i ./configure and that runs correctly.
then I make and I get:

$ make
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include     -I/usr/local/include -c arpd.c
arpd.c: In function `arpd_send':
arpd.c:268: error: syntax error before string constant
arpd.c: In function `arpd_lookup':
arpd.c:285: error: syntax error before string constant
arpd.c:294: error: syntax error before string constant
arpd.c:297: error: syntax error before string constant
arpd.c: In function `arpd_recv_cb':
arpd.c:426: error: syntax error before string constant
make: *** [arpd.o] Error 1

Any one runnung arpd on fedora core 3?
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.

Hmm yes, I seem to recall having the same problem. I didn't find a patch
at the time.

I did eventually get it to compile, but it seems I stupidly did not make
a patch file (would be willing to send you the binary, though - any x86
(not optimized, I guess), dynamically linked, libdnet-1.8, glibc 2.3.4
snapshot, not stripped, worked for me - but you shouldn't accept that
unless you trust every guy on the internet with access to your
computer...)

It wasn't *that* difficult, though - some macros and multiline strings
gcc didn't like, nothing really serious (I recall replacing
THIS_FUNCTION-like macros with the actual function name, for instance -
though I was pretty certain there is an actual macro for that, I didn't
bother looking it up.)

Additionally, I'm pretty certain there are some tools out there that can
do the same for you. Good luck!

                Joachim