Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Heisenberg in the honeypot

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:25:29 -0400

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:15:47 PDT, Harlan Carvey said:

True, but that can't be done until the particular
system is identified...either a priori, or though OS
fingerprinting or header/banner analysis.  Some sort
of a priori knowledge of the system(s) can be obtained
through asking, disgruntled employees, DNS zone
transfers, etc...all w/o out sending packets to the
system itself.

Exactly.

But that's where we get off topic, I'm afraid.  My

No, it's not at all off topic...

original question still applies...if an attacker has a
new technique or exploit, how likely is he/she to use
it knowing that honeypots are in use?

The important question is not "are honeypots in use" but "is *this*
*particular* system that I'm considering as the next machine to probe in fact
likely to be a honeypot?".  I don't *care* if the site has 2,000 honeypots scattered
world-wide.  I only care "Is this box labelled www3.target-site.com likely to be
a real webserver, or a honeypot?"

You can know that the enemy uses land mines, but still feel confident about
crossing a given space because you can tell that *this* space likely doesn't
have a land mine - for instance, crossing a not-recently paved parking lot is
probably fairly safe.  Following heavy truck tire tracks also greatly improves your odds,
as long as you don't come to someplace the tracks suddenly end.... ;)