Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Heisenberg in the honeypot

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:43:59 -0400

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:50:32 +1200, James Riden said:

I've seen a spectacularly inept cracker forget to remove the install
files for one of his/her root kits - stored in /rk no less - so it's
entirely possible a given attacker won't know it's a honeypot.

I've seen worse:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/75/311955/2003-02-11/2003-02-17/0

(The whole scenario was even more totally bozotic, but I'm saving it
as a good bar story..  wasn't a honeypot though, I was doing the forensics on
the box afterwards...)

I'm sure that every honeypot has aquired its share of similar anklebiters (you know,
the kind that type 'dir' on a Unixoid, or 'ls' on a Windows box.. ;)