Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Heisenberg in the honeypot

From: MrDemeanour <mrdemeanour () jackpot uk net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:28:47 +0100

Qv6 wrote:

On Friday 18 June 2004 12:47 pm, H Carvey wrote:

This is a question that's been banging around inside my head for a
while...

So my question is...has anyone considered the Heisenberg
Uncertainty Principle, with regards to honeypots?  Specifically,
honeypots are used to capture/"observe" attacks, and the HUP states
that by the very act of observing something, we inherently alter
that event/object.  As the HUP applies to honeypots, please bear
with me...

It is an interesting mental exercise, and I have a dual response:

0. I do not see how HUP applies to Honeypots/Honeynets. How do you alter an attack by capturing/observing it in realtime or at a later
time using Honeypots?

1. From a different perspective, the very act of "redirecting" an attack to Honeypots affects an aspect of the attack, i.e, the real
target of that attack and the damage it was designed to produce has
been altered. By redirecting an attack to a controlled environment,
you have altered that attack significantly.

Hmmm. It is not necessarily the case that the honeypot is different from
the "real target" of an attack; some (many?) honeypots are real systems.
And the "observation" of a honeypot need not occur in real-time - it
could be that the "observation" consists of inspecting logs after the fact.

The capturing of packets (if it occurs) could be performed by a
transparent firewall, as described in another thread on this list. From
what I have read, it appears that such capture MAY be completely
non-intrusive, and might have zero impact on either the attack or the
honeypot.

So to stretch this droll analogy well beyond breaking-point, is it
possible that a super-position of attack states might exist, up until
the moment at which the honeypot is inspected; at which point a
quantum-like collapse would occur? In other words, is it possible to
conceive of a honeypot that contains a cat?

--
Jack.