Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Is it one way to detect honeypot?

From: wanfat wu <fred_honeypot () yahoo com hk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:21:01 +0800 (CST)

Hi Olaf Gellert,

Thank You for your reply first!
I get your point. From my point of view, honeypot can also be used to detect unauthorized user or to protect local
network, for example, in university campus.
I think it is quite easy to detect MAC by using Ettercap. If I am the attacker, I can see many host with same MAC. So,
I can know that host with diffierent MAC is the real host.
How do you think?

Best,
Fred

Ettercap

Olaf Gellert <og () pre-secure de> wrote:wanfat wu wrote:

By looking at the MAC address, all the MAC are the same! Is it one way
to detect honeypot? Anything to hide my honeypot?
Well, this is a way to detect a honeypot. But how do you
get access to the MAC addresses? Usually you can only
see MAC addresses in the local network segment. If an
attacker comes from somewhere else (and usually this
really should be the case) I think it will be difficult
to get the MAC addresses.

Cheers, Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert PRESECURE (R)