Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Is it one way to detect honeypot?

From: Olaf Gellert <og () pre-secure de>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:02:22 +0100

wanfat wu wrote:
Hi Olaf Gellert,

Thank You for your reply first!
I get your point. From my point of view, honeypot can also be used to
detect unauthorized user or to protect local network, for example, in
university campus.
I think it is quite easy to detect MAC by using Ettercap. If I am the
attacker, I can see many host with same MAC. So, I can know that host
with diffierent MAC is the real host.
How do you think?

Well, this works only of the attacker is in the same
ethernet segment. This would be true of a small network
with ~100 hosts, but of course not for a large university
campus. I am not sure, usually arp requests should not
go over a switch to another segment (someone correct me
if I am wrong). So, yes, you can use this to detect
the kind of honeypots that use many IP-addresses on
one interface. There are some special settings, where
this would not work (for example SSL-servers serving many
domains (each one needs an IP-address), so they have
many IP-addresses but are using only one interface).

Cheers, Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert                  PRESECURE (R)
Consultant,                              Consulting GmbH