Honeypots mailing list archives

snort inline doesn't seem to drop malicious traffic

From: "Alexander Meyer (spot-media AG)" <meyer () spot-media de>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:34:05 +0200

hi list,

i set up a gen2 honeynet following the instructions on the honeynet
website. so far everything seems to work fine except that i was able to
successfully attack my outside-of-the-honeynet testbox (with that latest
samba buffer overflow exploit called sambal.c). from inside the
honeynet. the inline snort detects and logs the attack but it isn't
blocked. first i was suspecting that iptables wasn't queueing at all but
killing the snort_inline process proved that wrong. also fiddling with
the snort_inline startup script (i.e. changing the interface to listen
on) didn't help. could anyone point me to what i might have missed?

thanks in advance,

alexander.

--
spot-media AG