Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Legal Question about privacy

From: Richard Johnson <rdump () river com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:27:47 -0600

In article <200307241321.h6ODLkH03787 () backchannel chem wisc edu>,
 Steve Barnet <barnet () chem wisc edu> wrote:

  As an initial shot at an answer, I'll throw this out
there: honeypot operators should do their best to ensure
that any data collected is well and thoroughly sanitized
before it is released publicly.

"Research involving human subjects" is well-trodden ethical terrain, at
least when it comes to the biomedical and behavioral fields.  Do some of
the resulting standards apply to what might be considered (by some) as
ad-hoc "sociology of hackers" research?

Those standards, especially when dealing with unaware subjects, require
reporting in aggregate terms, removal of personally identifying details,
and the like.

In my opinion, the principles of respect for persons, justice and
beneficience all taken together indicate that such research should or
must be performed, and the results disseminated, but unknowing and
innocent subjects should be anonymized.

Richard

--
My mailbox. My property. My personal space. My rules. Deal with it.
                        http://www.river.com/users/share/cluetrain/