Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Legal Question about privacy

From: Steve Barnet <barnet () chem wisc edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:21:46 -0500

Hi all,

  OK, so we're starting to come rapidly to the point
of hypotheticals and strained analogies, and I must
take full responsibility for starting us down that
road. As penance, I'll try to head the discussion down
a path that may help provide some guidelines if not
answers.

  The original issue was privacy of communications
with respect to honeypots. As I look back on my post,
I see that much of it may have been more germane to
the IDS list rather than honeypots. But I do think
we may have a specific example that could prove
instructive: Scan of the Month 28.

http://project.honeynet.org/scans/scan28/

  In that scan, in addition to the compromise a good
chunk of IRC communication was captured as well. It's
apparent from the challenge itself that a good degree
of sanitizing went on (heck, there's an entire day of
traffic missing). In relating this to our current
discussion, it seems a clear consensus that the cracker
has forgone all (or at least many) privacy rights.

  In bringing the IRC conversations into the picture
it complicates matters because it is not necessarily
clear to the users of the channel that part of the
link or conversation is being routed through a system
that is being used illegally and monitored. If our boy
is talking to one of his fellow crackers, we are
probably safe in assuming that the other party is aware
of this or at the very least would not be surprised to
find out that it was true. But what about a legitimate
user of the channel? That user (if he/she exists) is
entirely unaware of the fact that any monitoring is
going on.

  This brings us back to one of Dan's earlier points
that any comm over an unsecured channel is vulnerable
to exactly this sort of thing. Very true. So the question
then comes: what is the responsibility of a honeypot
operator in protecting what privacy does exist?

  As an initial shot at an answer, I'll throw this out
there: honeypot operators should do their best to ensure
that any data collected is well and thoroughly sanitized
before it is released publicly. Specifically, third
parties should be given the benefit of the doubt when
deciding how to present data. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to create a set of specific guidelines (if such don't
already exist) about the types of things to exclude, or
how to go about cleaning up data if it's relevant but
may skirt the privacy line.

  It doesn't address the core technical problem that
Dan brings up about unsecured channels. However, given
that we're unlikely to ever be able to address that
issue completely (at least not in the near future),
perhaps it will create a social control that is sufficient
to pass muster outside the community. That approach seems
to have worked reasonably enough with the voice networks
which suffer from exactly the same problem (and yes, also
suffer quite a bit of abuse).

  If nothing else, it would create a consistent idea in
the community about "best practices" and if/when any
excessive violations occur we will generally agree that
the activity was inappropriate and atypical of the way
honeypot operators work.

Thanks for reading this far.

Best,

---Steve