Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: question: honeyd subsystem support

From: Han Xu <xuhan () cc gatech edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:14:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Niels Provos wrote:

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:43:49AM -0400, Han Xu wrote:
The honeyd runs and no any error messages, I can see my program is started
and running. Since my program sends UDP packets to other IP addresses, I
went to other machine to check it out. The problem is, the received packet
showed source IP is the real IP of the source machine, not the bound
virtual IP via honeyd.
Your application needs to be a dynamically linked executeable.  If it
is static than library pre-loading does not work.

I think my application is a dynamically linked executeable. I compiled it
just in a normal way. (e.g. g++ -Wall -o myapp myapp.cpp) I think Redhat /
g++ does dynamic linking by default, right ?  and, how can I make sure
that ? what is the best place to check it up ? (sorry if it's a naive
question.)

I am not familiar with library pre-loading, does it mean I need to change
something of /etc/ld.so.preload ? (there is no such file now.) Or, shoule
I set certain value for LD_PRELOAD / LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

thanks,
Han

Niels.