Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Usefulness of low-interaction honeypots.

From: Kostas K <acezerocool () yahoo com>
Date: 9 Sep 2003 11:38:48 -0000

Hi, Raymond

  I did not exclude the use of both IDS and Honeypot. I just said that
using honeypot and especially a LIH alone you can't rely much on it.
Furthermore, someone mentioned that a co-operation between a firewall and
a LIH is feasible.
The answer is simply yes, and it's a lot easier to deploy a LIH at the
internal network rather than communicating with the Internet.
I believe that a LIH could be deployed at the internal for the following
reason:
-you can monitor your employees. There is always the capability of
installing certain kind of application in Desktops/workstations.

But if you install a LIH that will be responsible for the surveillance of
what's going outside is a bit risky. Feeding them with false webpages,
someday LIH could be exposed. Ok, you could say that the attacker should
be an expert but you never know.
I agree that we should invest more on IT security, IT is the future if we
are not already in the future. The more people on the Internet the more
we need to spend for security.

Regards,

Kostas

Hi Kostas,

Why don't we use both IDS and Honeypot together ? As a
matter of fact, given the traffic loading and
correction of events, would it be more easily for
administrator to do the cross-validation with both
tools.

regards, Raymond.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com