Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Usefulness of low-interaction honeypots.

From: "John C. Silvia" <john () cadamier com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:41:43 -0700

From a pure expense perspective, setting up a honeypot is not a minor
expense - the time spent configuring the machine is what costs and what
employers look at.  Time is not free.  Machines often are, thanks to
upgrades.

But consider that it takes MANY hours to setup a fully patched Windows
system - unless you're setting up the newest version of something (which is
rare) it takes at least 3 hours to setup a Windows box and patch it = and
that's assuming you have a fast machine and an idle T1 to download windows
updates with.  Same goes with Red Hat and Debian disto's too.  Older PC's
are slower too.  Preparing it to be a honeypot afterwards takes planning and
baseline profiling as well, and then you've got to setup some kind of
monitoring.  That's the time investment and that's the expense.

Agreed that there is little protection provided by a high interaction
honeypot, but they do provide intel on what people are trying or doing.  The
problem is that the benefits of this type of protection have less tangible
results than a low interaction device protecting the outside.

Also, a properly implemented a low interaction honeypot will not block
everyone that talks to it - just those who connect to it under certain
circumstances.  If someone scans me, my LIH will respond to service scans
with a syn-ack - it's when I get a syn-ack back that I consider them
possibly hostile.  Of course, baiting them on a little further is always
good too - letting them see a apache or winnt iis page is good, providing
them an FTP or telnet login is better - but if they try a directory
traversal or start doing anything more complex than getting the home page or
logging in, then I'll block them.

Your post subject was about the usefulness of LIH, and a compare/contrast of
what they do - I guess in this case it's somewhat clear - LIH is more suited
to proactive network defense while HIH are more suited to research and
learning techniques used in the wild.  Honeynets are useful to amplify the
results, good or bad.