Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Trapping attackers when trying to leave a honeypot

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:50:03 -0400

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:57:38 +0200, Nicolas STAMPF <stampf.bes () free fr>  said:

If I were in charge of a firewall, I'd block that outgoing connection from the
honeypot to outside if it were not "production" necessary. As this has already
been said here, configuring hosts just like real ones is the best way to catch
attackers.

Yes.. unfortunately, the majority of firewalls are done improperly, or at the very
least much more leniently.

Idem. I'd say that if some attacker finds a computer widely opened, that would
be quite surprising and should ring bells.

Again - "computer wide open" would probably *not* ring bells with an attacker,
because it's not an unusual case..

I'd say that a properly configured firewall would only allow you to enter a
network (through predefined pathes and using application vulnerabilities), but
almost not authorize you to get out, except using specific paths, like SMTP
trafic (which you could fake as going out and pretend using an ISP servers
which spools emails (hence the hacker could not really on this path for real
time communications). Other paths are more problematic to handle, of course:
DNS requests, etc.

Actually, if I were an attacker, at *this* point I'd start worrying - if the
site I'm hitting is tightened down so much that the firewall does a fascist job
of stopping *outbound* connections, then it's obviously a security-conscious
site and not a place I want to get caught in.  There's also the question of the
apparent paranoia of the site, when compared to the apparent ease of getting
into the system - if the *site* is tight but the *system* is wide open, that
spells trouble too....