Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Trapping attackers when trying to leave a honeypot

From: George Washington Dunlap III <dunlapg () umich edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Nicolas STAMPF wrote:

If I were in charge of a firewall, I'd block that outgoing connection
from the honeypot to outside if it were not "production" necessary. As
this has already been said here, configuring hosts just like real ones
is the best way to catch attackers.

Yes, I guess my view is somewhat skewed by the environment I've been in
for the last eight years -- a university, where all the computers have
static IPs and are exposed directly to the wilds of the internet.

I also rather misread your first e-mail; you weren't talking about
simulating the rest of the internet, but rather the rest of your own net.
I guess the question is, what's the difference between what you describe
and a honeynet?  I.e., just set up a network of honeypots and let the
attacker muck around in there?

If you're simulating computers that he can get to from the outside, then
he can still do some cross-examination stuff, though perhaps more limited
because of your firewall.  And if everyone's setup is different enough, it
means each attacker will have to craft is cross-examination to your
particular system, and there's always the hope that he'll forget or screw
it up somehow.

Peace,
 -George

--