Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypots: Uses and Features

From: Cedric Foll <cedric.foll () ac-rouen fr>
Date: 03 Jun 2003 15:52:00 +0200

I think this can be extended a little (unless this somehow warrents a
category of its own).  I have seen people deploy honeypots not to
learn or detect anything, but purely to lure the would be attacker
away from the real network, with what would appear to be an easier
target.  I'm not so sure this is the best use, but I figured it
warrented mentioning none the less :)

I do something like that.
I have few honey pot in front of my FW.
So they seem to be easy targets (no protection, response to ping) but
with an IDS on them.
When we are under attack they are touch in first. So we can cfg our FW
to reject bad IP, contact administrator's IP and our CERT before big pb
come.