Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypots: Uses and Features

From: Lee Brotherston <lee () nerds org uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:30:43 +0100

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 10:04:55AM +0100, Andy Cuff [talisker] wrote:

From a production honeypot I'm looking for a heads up similar to an IDS
of what an attackers intention might be, without impacting my "real" network.

I think this can be extended a little (unless this somehow warrents a
category of its own).  I have seen people deploy honeypots not to
learn or detect anything, but purely to lure the would be attacker
away from the real network, with what would appear to be an easier
target.  I'm not so sure this is the best use, but I figured it
warrented mentioning none the less :)

Thanks

  Lee

--
Lee Brotherston - <lee () nerds org uk>
Jar Jar Binks Makes The Ewoks Look Like Shaft