Honeypots mailing list archives

Need your helping defining honeypots

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:24:11 -0500 (CDT)

Recently I released a paper attempting to define honeypots.
I've received alot of great feedback on that.  Some of the
feedback has been we may be able to improve on the definition.
Honeypots are extremely flexible and can be used for many
different things.  As such, I propose two different possible
definitions.  Comments/input GREATLY appreciated!

Option 1:
---------
A honeypot is a security resource who's value lies in being
probed, attacked, or compromised.

Option 2:
---------
A honeypot is a resource operated to monitor the use by entities
who are unauthorized, or have reason to believe they are unauthorized,
to use those resources.

Do you have a preference for either defintion, a different
defintion, or perhaps a combination of the both?  If so, why?
Let us know.

Thanks!

--
Lance Spitzner