Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD and honeypots [ Re: Snort inline for openbsd? ]

From: "ph33r" <ph33r () fatelabs com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:18:10 -0800

Philip:
I'm currently running a FreeBSD honeypot, which has just completed its second round of gathering attacks. I'm currently in the process of designing a web portal to make the honeypot information available online to the security community.

The honeypot was setup with a default installation of FreeBSD 4.7, with some security measures implemented, such as patches, fake TCP/IP ports opened, and some logging applications such as syslog-ng, portsentry and the sysctl kernel logging enabled.

All logs are stored off site on a remote machine, (remote log server) which has played its part in this project.

If you require any more details on the honeypot, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'd be more than happy to supply you with anything you may require.

Best Regards,
Alan Neville

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:24:16 +0000