Honeypots mailing list archives

FreeBSD and honeypots [ Re: Snort inline for openbsd? ]

From: Philip Reynolds <phil () Redbrick DCU IE>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:24:16 +0000

Rob McMillen's [rvmcmil () cablespeed com] 21 lines of wisdom included:
Michael,
      The key component to snort_inline is the iptables ip_queue.  This
allows a user to tell the iptables firewall to send the packet from kernel
space to a userspace program for routing decision.  If the OpenBSD
equivalent of iptables does this, it would be a pretty easy port.

Small bit OT, but FreeBSD's firewall IPFW, will allow this via a
``divert'' rule. Instead of using the libipq API, you'll be
communicating via a divert socket. I'm not familiar enough with PF
to tell you if there is an equivalent, and I currently have no
access to OpenBSD.

I'm also rather curious as to the development of honeypots on
FreeBSD? Honeypots seem rather Linux orientated, although OpenBSD is
becoming mentioned more and more as well.

Ref: ipfw(8), divert(4)
--
  Philip Reynolds
   RFC Networks          tel: 01 8832063