Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Building an Honeypot using VMWare

From: Michael <soppscum () online no>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 04:30:10 +0100

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:02:07 -0500 (EST)
Edward Balas <ebalas () iu edu> wrote:

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Bruno MAC Castro wrote:

Thanks Bill,

I agree with you in everything... But, it would improve the concept of a
Honeypot if the trace of a virtual machine (VMWare) was hard (or
impossible) to find. My goal is to reach a stage where there is no
visible VMWare process in my honeypot. I also know that it is almost
impossible to reach it, but we need high goals to keep us working...
right?
;-)

There arent any vmware processes running per se in the honeypot the
problem is that many OSs recognize the disk as of vmware type, and
the same for the ethernet and other such devices.  Regarding the MAC
address that is configuratable so its no issue.

Also dont install the vmware-tools on the guest.

Seems like something you'd use a hex editor for =)