Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Building an Honeypot using VMWare

From: Alberto Gonzalez <albertg () cerebro violating us>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 23:55:25 -0800

(dev@cervello)(~) dmesg |grep VMware
hdc: VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
 Vendor: VMware,   Model: VMware Virtual S  Rev: 1.0

Now most attackers that break into a honeypot, the first thing she does is install a rootkit. Rootkits check for other rootkits if non found, install theirs. Your /bin/ps would be useless at this point since it will install a trojaned binary. Now as to the hiding process, if you dont install vmware-tools there wont be any vmware processes running. As to removing any
presence of Vmware, I would LOVE to hear how..

just my 2cents

   - Albert

Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka wrote:

Have you tried using trojanned binary of ps ?
Hide vmware process the way intruders hide their psybnc processes.

or say:

cat /bin/ps

#!/bin/sh
/bin/.psreal $1 | grep -v "vmware" | grep -v "psreal"

Hide some more processes, im not suggesting to use similar shell
scripts, but just giving you an idea. You could code it in perl, and compile it using perlcc, or could compile it in a C code, using system();

Regards
--------
Muhammad Faisal Rauf Danka

Head of GemSEC / Chief Technology Officer
Gem Internet Services (Pvt) Ltd.
web: www.gem.net.pk
Key Id: 0x784B0202
Key Fingerprint: 6F8C EDCF 6C6E 06A5 48D7 6A20 C592 484B 784B 0202

--- "Bruno MAC Castro" <bcastro () dei uc pt> wrote:
Thanks Bill,

I agree with you in everything... But, it would improve the concept of a
Honeypot if the trace of a virtual machine (VMWare) was hard (or
impossible) to find. My goal is to reach a stage where there is no
visible VMWare process in my honeypot. I also know that it is almost
impossible to reach it, but we need high goals to keep us working...
right?
;-)

For a start, I would be happy with a solution (maybe a tool) that hides
or "camouflage" the VMWare process from the OS Process List.

Any ideas?
Regards
Bruno