Honeypots mailing list archives

Honeynet and copyright law

From: Alexandre Dulaunoy <adulau () foo be>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:08:14 +0100 (CET)

Hello All,

We have honeynets  running in Luxembourg but we  have a legal question
regarding the capture.  We are  trying to publish the full capture. So
the community  can check and  test with their  own tools the  logs and
capture file (often pcap files ou syscalltrack write dump).

The legal  issue is the following, a  lot of attacks are  done to push
data to  be published  on a server  (from FTP  to HTTP). The  data are
often copyrighted (you know the name with a 'z' at the end ;-).

We are  publishing capture containing  copyrighted media, that  can be
extracted easily from the pcap/syscalltrak.

Is there somebody  with already the same issue ? What  are you doing ?
publishing only part of the capture (but removing data is not really a
good approach  as we are doing  analysis of modified data  and not the
real ones) ? have you same legal advice ?

Thanks for any feedback.

adulau

--                            Alexandre Dulaunoy -- http://www.foo.be/
--         http://pgp.ael.be:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x44E6CBCD
"People who fight may lose.People who do not fight have already lost."
                                                        Bertolt Brecht