funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oh, please ...

From: "Hauber, Wayne [ITSEC]" <wjhauber () iastate edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:16:39 -0500

I attended a lecture by Rebecca Herrold, the chair of a NIST committee. Her lecture was about this topic. She made a
compelling case for some sort of national policy to cover the issue of privacy and the smart grid. She also argued that
privacy is an ill-defined term and is especially ill-defined in terms of a smart grid.

There were many law enforcement officers in the audience. They asked very alert questions about trend lines in
electricity use. Specific questions about grow lamps were discussed as well. It is clear that they were very interested
in electricity usage patterns.

Here is more information than you want to read about the topic from NIST:

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistir/ir7628/nistir-7628_vol2.pdf

The NIST committee did a great job with this paper.

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
Iowa State University
Information Technology Services
IT Security and Policies
297 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu