funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cheating on school tests ...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:04:33 +1200

Rob Slade wrote:

... by teachers, not students: http://www.economist.com/node/18958685

As a former school teacher, I'm depressed, but not really surprised.  This is a
predictable result of efforts by those who think that simple metrics will fix things.

...and more specifically, by such simepltons implementing an incredibly
simplistic system to track such metrics, and in doing so, incentivizing
exactly the kind of behaviour uncovered in this report.

"Improving" education (whatever you may take that to mean) is
uncontestably an incredibly complex, multi-multi-facted, deeply nuanced
process.  Simplistic chest-beating left-wing politicians sloganizing
the kind of BS behind, inherent in and complicit with designed-to-fail
stupidities such as "no child left behind" exposes the total inadequacy
of those devising, promoting and implementing such "solutions" to even
be allowed to be in a position to devise, promote or implement
_anything_ that requires genuinely intelligent design.

That such egregiously ill-equipped folk were in such positions tells
one a lot about the society in general in which this all happened...

We, in security, should beware of equivalent simple, metric-based, fixes.

Of course we are -- such paragons of best practice as PCI DSS clearly
attest to this...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald