funsec mailing list archives

Re: Blatant phishing?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:05:41 +1200

A few weeks back Rob Slade wrote:

As I was sending along my daily allotment of phishing spam to the research sites, I
noticed, in the message:

From: Halifax Security Department

<head>
<title>Crooks In Action - Jenson Farrago Phishing - Halifax</title>

emails from Crooks In Action">
Smith, Crooks In Action, 419 scams, advance fee, time wasters,
Nigerian email fraud, bogus lottery, bogus jobs & business
opportunities, identity theft, phishing, pills, internet medication,
penny stocks">

FWIW, this means that these phishers are lazy/cheap and have lifted
their phishing scam message source directly from:

   http://www.htspweb.co.uk/cia/crooks.htm

rather than doing a few hours works of their own, getting one of the
free phishing template kits (which are widely known to be backdoored
and the tide is swinging away from web-hosted pages to "attached HTML
forms" anyway), or shelling out a few bucks for a commercial template
collection (which may also be backdoored -- theivees these days...).

Regardless of their laziness/cheapness these guys are clearly quite
stupid to not even edit the HTML...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald