funsec mailing list archives

Re: Do I have the right to refuse this search? [good read on TSA]

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 23:00:34 -0800 (PST)

Exactly what does a terrorist look like, then?

Usually like an Arab.

Bit racist, in my humble opinion.

Racist, but it's the data.

I think we all can agree that singling out a minority for special screening
would be a really bad thing. I think we'd rather live with an increased risk of
a terrorist attack than do something so mean.

But at the same time, we shouldn't delude ourselves what's going on here in the
name of political correctness. Unfortunately, that's what we've done. Singling
out all Arab looking people would actually be an effective risk reduction.
Randomly selecting everyone is ineffective "security theatre", but also
"anti-racism theatre".

Since we are (rightly) unwilling to do racial profiling, the proper response is
to drop the idea of "random" selection altogether.