funsec mailing list archives

Re: Do I have the right to refuse this search? [good read on TSA]

From: Imri Goldberg <lorgandon () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:43:09 +0200

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:50 AM, silky <michaelslists () gmail com> wrote:

Exactly what does a terrorist look like, then? She's implying that
there is some sort of typical model. I'd suggest that a random
samplying combined with some sort of profiling is appropriate, but to
say you don't *look* like a terrorist? Bit racist, in my humble
opinion.

A terrorist may look like:
1. a "nervous" person, always looking about,
2. someone who wears heavy long clothes when the weather is warm,
3. someone who is travelling without luggage,
4. etc.
All of these may ring a bell for a screener. I expect there may be other
behavioral cues that screeners are/may be trained for.
I'm not saying these specific cues I've given are correct, only that these
are potentially valid cues that fall under how someone "looks" while not
being racist at all.

Cheers,
Imri

--