funsec mailing list archives

Re: One way or another, it's going to heat up ...

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 08:01:46 -0400

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:07:47PM -0400, Joel Esler wrote:
I understand it's handy to post shortened URL's, however...

I blacklist all URL shorteners on sight.  The overwhelming majority
have been heavily abused by spammers/phishers, and have taken no
effective/remedial action, and as a result, one rather effective anti-abuse
measure is to treat any incoming mail message referencing them as suspect.
(And given that some of them *are* the abusers...)

Any software that can't handle a "real" URL is broken, and should
be fixed, not accomodated.

---Rsk